Sunday, September 16, 2012


My journey to Africa has begun.  It really began a few months or maybe even years ago, but it started in earnest on Sunday, September 9.  As usual, when home, I attended the program at the Spiritual Awareness Center.

Before the program began I was busy setting up the altar, greeting table, etc.  On the altar next to the flowers I decided to place only one slender white candle signifying Unity Consciousness.  Upon sitting down to wait for the program to begin I noticed a second candle on the altar.  This one was an unlit white pillar shaped candle resting in a large glass bell holder.

Before the hostess introduced the presenter, she called two women to the front for special announcements.  Karen stood by the mystery candle and spoke about my upcoming journey to Sierra Leone and saying the candle represented me and would be lit every Sunday while I was away to send me love and positive energy from the community.  Then she invited me up to light the candle.  Tears of gratitude and heart felt love filled my eyes as they fill my eyes now as I remember the feeling of unconditional love as I lit the candle.

After the program Smokey, a Modoc Tribe Shaman, approached me to ask if he could gift me with a ceremony asking the Creator’s protection of my spirit for my journey.  We arranged for him to call me and come to my home on Monday.

Monday afternoon Smokey and I sat on my back deck preparing for the ceremony.  The sun was warm on our bodies and the breeze that began to stir the Aspen trees was cool.  Smokey spent time telling me stories of the meanings of the trees, the breeze and the chanting songs he was going to sing.  

The Aspen trees, in nature, grow from one another forming a root system underground like the root system of a tribe supporting one another.  The breeze was the Creator joining in and blessing us and the ceremony.  He lit the sage he brought that grows beside the grave of his son and the smoke filled the air.  The breeze wafted the smoke all around us blessing each in turn and then as one.

I felt the presence of Holy Ones and the Creator as Smokey performed his ceremonial songs and chants while he drummed on his medicine wheel drum.

Again my heart filled with gratitude, joy and peace.  How blessed I am to have such special beings in my life to be with me in spirit as I travel my path to Africa.

“Embrace the mystery wherein all possibilities exist”

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma/Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment