Friday, March 20, 2015

SOUTH AFRICA ADVENTURES
WALKS ON THE BEACH


Almost everyday I go for a walk on the beach. 
Tide is Out
And every time I go I see something different or unusual.  This beach is also an off-leash dog beach for most of the walk.  One day I saw a man with two Newfoundlands (BIG dogs) coming towards me.  One of them locked eyes with me and made a beeline.  I steeled myself for a jump up, but he just wanted me to pet him.  One my way back I decided to sit on the dune for a little meditation.  All of a sudden a big head landed in my lap.  Yep the same Newfie.

The variety of dogs is astounding and most owners have more than one.  The cutest combo is this one:

Note The Tiny White Fluff Ball
I spoke with the owner asking the type of breed the tiny white fluff ball was and she is a maltese puppy.  One rogue wave and she's a goner!!!

The ocean in front of the beach is famous for sharks - Great Whites!!!!  One afternoon I heard a siren.  Joanna called me and said that is the shark siren and means get the HXXX out of the water!!!  Of course I had to immediately head to the beach to see if I could see it and NO I did not go into the water even a toe’s depth. 
Bringing In The Catch
But I did watch fishermen bring in a whole load of yellow tail tuna.  As I was videoing the men up to their waist in the water I prayed it would not turn into a grizzly shark attack!!  


Rather than say too much about the beach, I will now share photos and a video of my observations and experiences:

Massive Amounts Of Seaweed One Morning
She Has This Ball By A Tiny String





















Shark status flag.  There are four:
Green means clear viewing, Black means viewing not clear, Red means high alert and White means get your butt out of the water.  Have decided the white as the most urgent flag is due to the Great Whites that swim here.  Today while I was on the bach the shark siren blew twice - in a row and the flag changed to white!!!  I looked and looked for the shark, but did not see anything.  Then as I was approaching the other end of the beach where I leave it I spied what I thought was a fin!  It turned out to be a surfer and I couldn't believe he was in the water after the TWO shark sirens.  All of a sudden he came out of the water and I shouted didn't you hear the shark sirens?  He said no but I looked down and saw a shark swimming under me which is why I came out.

Massive numbers of Blue Bottle Jellyfish

One day there were 10's of thousands of Blue Bottle Jellyfish all over the beach. They sting if you are in the water with them, but are harmless once they wash up.  If you step on the they pop really loud!


Other Critters:

Sea Urchin

Sponge

Jellyfish

Don't Know!!!!

Another Jellyfish


















































Cormorant Surfing
















Sand Snails Feasting On Blue Bottle

Another Buffet

They Come In Many Colors And Sizes







































Blue Bottle Jellyfish







Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma Syrup/Sara





















No comments:

Post a Comment