Saturday, March 7, 2015

EGYPT ADVENTURES 2015
POLITICAL CLIMATE

Some of you have expressed a desire to know about the political climate now that Egypt is in its 4th year after the revolution.  My view can only come from what I have observed, what my friends have expressed and what new people I have met are willing to share.

It appears everyone, except one person, likes Sisy.  They see him as a miracle who really genuinely cares for the people and popped up out of nowhere to lead the country.  Even though he is from the military he is a far cry from Mubarak and miles above Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood.  The one person who is not sold on Sisy, but also severely dislikes the Muslim Brotherhood, wishes the revolution had not taken place.  This in retrospect, of course.  At one point back in 2004 he told me he hated Mubarak!

Sisy is pushing for Islam reform of the Qu’ran and the passages that inflame the terrorists like ISIS or Dash as it is known here.  He, and others, feel those passages may have served a purpose in original times, but serve no purpose now except to pit muslims agains muslims and to create chaos and misunderstanding across the whole world.  He is actually exposing himself to violence from fundamentalists by expressing this view.

It also appears everyone, without exception, is very disappointed in Obama and decisions he and his government have made (even the German clients of Ahmed’s gave a thumbs down) particularly in relations between America and Egypt.  Some even say they hate him.  They say Obama and our government support the Muslim Brotherhood.

Putin visited while I was here.  It was quite the occasion and was seen as a positive move by the Egyptian people.  He was here to broker deals to fill in where America has left holes in sales of arms, planes, and other support.  The very interesting and somewhat unnerving fact is that they are dealing in each others currency.  In other words they are by-passing the World Bank and the American Dollar to trade in Egyptian Pounds and Russian Rubles to make the purchases. 

Does anyone else see the significance of this in terms of the strength and status as the world currency for the good old USD???  Not only that but now the relations with a pivotal country in terms of a gateway to the Middle East (yes, I know they are in Africa) has soured and is in bed with a country we are, at best,  back in a cold war status.

Didn’t our administration realize if Morsi and the Brotherhood remained in power for 3 more years it would have been devastating for Egypt not mention the repercussions around the world?  The brotherhood has proved to be a very violent entity - you should see some of the propaganda they still broadcast on TV.  So what if they were elected in a democratic election.  The true colors shown bright and clear after they won. 

One of my friends stated he had no idea how violent the Brotherhood was until after the election.  He is not alone in this observation.  Another of my friends voted for them and is now ashamed and chagrined he didn’t know how violent they were.  He says he realizes voting for them was a huge mistake.  I have a feeling they pulled the wool over many eyes which is why they could win.

As far as touring is concerned, the atmosphere is fine.  Now is a GREAT time to see everything.  Now when tourism is down and places are not crowded. It is no different than other times before the revolution.  The presence of police is more obvious like it was in the 1990’s, but that is a good thing.  I felt perfectly fine everywhere I went.  Knowing the anti-American sentiment before I arrived I debated about admitting I was American and claiming Canada as my country.  But I bit the bullet and admitted my true country.  I always got a thumbs down for Obama, but no one blamed me for my government’s decisions.

Now, on to South Africa.  :))))

Much Love To You All,

Mom/Grandma Syrup/Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment