Wednesday, March 18, 2015

SOUTH AFRICA ADVENTURES
MY COTTAGE AND ACTIVITIES



As I have mentioned Joanna and Ady’s cottage is ideally located  across the main road from the beach and the side road from the wetlands.  Mountains all around and just breathtakingly beautiful.  More about walking the beach and wetlands in my next blog complete with pictures.

The cottage
The Cottage With Fire Get-a-Way Car
is spacious and yet cozy.  I love being in it and feel right at home.  To give you a peek inside here are some pictures.







Living And Dining Coming From Main Bedroom


My Bed - Cozy












Looking Out To Sitting Porch 

Kitchen











Scullery



More Kitchen










Even More Kitchen



Bath

Second Bedroom come on down!

Outside Patio















Since my arrival and after the fire drama, I have attended three events.  Joanna and Ady belong to a wine tasting club that meets once a month.  Luckily for me it takes place on the second Tuesday of each month so I will be able to attend two of them.

South Africa is known for its wines and the area I love is the Stellenbosch area.  Bob and I visited that area in 2000 during our first visit to SA.  Andy’s friend Clare picked us up and the four of us set out.  We left early enough to stop at one winery called Annandale before getting to the chosen one for the club’s tasting.  Annandale winery had delightful red wines.  I even liked their Merlot and bought  a bottle, which is a first because it is the first Merlot I have ever really liked!!!  Their port is to die for and a few of their other reds lovely.  I bought one of their specialty blends that comes in a 1.5 liter bottle with no label!  We couldn’t even taste it because it is made in such small quantities.  One part of the process that makes their wines so unique is the fact they leave them in the barrel to age for 7 to 8 years.  Thus we were tasting and buying wines from 2007 and 2008. 

Next we join the club members at a winery called Uva Mira way up on the slopes of the Helderberg mountain.  The views were spectacular and the weather that day perfect in both temperature and clarity.  Their specialty is Sauvignon Blanc of which we tasted two.  They were lovely wines, but I prefer the ones from New Zealand.  Their reds were very good.  Lunch was served after the tasting and presentation about the winery and its short history.  Not only did I enjoy the wine tasting, I met some lovely people and plan to get together with some of them in the near future.

Once a month Joanna attends a market fair with her goods she brings back from her travels all over the world.  She organizes and takes groups to exotic destinations like Butan, India, Cuba, Egypt, Burma (Myan Mar), etc. 

She brings back scarves, clothing, jewelry, and other trinkets to sell.  Needless to say I cannot resist a market day even if my buying is minimal these days.  However, I was one of Joanna’s best customers.  She has lovely little pendants and earrings that make great gifts and are easy to tuck into the corners of suitcases.

I enjoyed walking around and speaking with the other vendors and in doing so met a South African whose son lives in Bend, Oregon!!!   He is an extreme sports photographer.  Indeed a small world.

On Saturday night we were invited to dinner at Clare’s house.  Clare’s next door neighbor and a couple from the wine tasting group were there also.  John is a former Ambassador from Australia and he and Gail have lived many places including Cairo!!  We had many lively conversations including establishing  a name for a new country whose name shall not be mentioned in this blog because my grandchildren read it :-))).  We gave it a flag, a bird, a currency - great fun.  And even though we said it would be best to not discuss politics, religion or women’s rights, we managed as the night wore on and wine flowed freely to discuss all three!!!  All in good fun though.  Part of the flowing wine was the mystery untasted bottle from Annandale.  It was delightful and I am happy I invested in it to share.

We had such a good time I wanted to invite them to a dinner at “my” cottage.  Gail suggested they all bring a dish, so I am (with the help of Joanna and Ady) having all of them and a couple of others from the wine club in on March 25.  I love to entertain and am looking forward to the event.

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma Syrup/Sara 


No comments:

Post a Comment