Sunday, November 8, 2015

SAILING THE NILE IN A DAHABYIA
OCTOBER 2015-PART 2


Dearest Family and Friends,

SAILING!!!!
The next day we set sail (literally got to sail for just a little while)for a stop at King Farouk’s palaces, one for him and one for his entourage and family. 

The place we tied up had a lovely staircase leading from the quay to the street right in front of the palace.

This is one of his many palaces all over Egypt.  In fact he only spent 3 days a year here on his trip between Aswan and Luxor.
Farouk's Palace
Not only are there the two palaces, he also built a hydro electric plant just to light his buildings.  It is still in use today to create electricity for part of the village.  The palaces, however, are not occupied or kept up and are in a sad condition.  We were not able to go inside his palace, but were able to wander the gardens surrounding it.  

The other palace was open and we were told it is similar inside to his private one.  On the outside they look very much the same. Inside beautiful marble floors emerged once I used my foot to scrap away the thick dust. Lovely
The Group & Our Guides
and dramatic patterns emulating the pharaonic times appeared. The colors used were the royal colors of Lapis, Gold, Carnelian and a light Turquoise-colors of the Pharaohs.  In my mind’s eye I could imagine them cleaned, waxed and buffed to a brilliant shine. What a sight it would be.

The mantles surrounding the fireplaces had carvings and details of the time they were built in the early/mid 1900s.  In fact the bits along the sides of one of them were carved just like my old mantle in the house in Hayward, CA built in 1916!!!  The ceramic tile face around the opening was made to look like Lapis.

There were many rooms on several floors, but it was very dim inside and some of the ceilings were missing plaster. I could tell the bathrooms were very modern and quite opulent in the past.  Ahmed said the tourist dollars go towards the ancient artifacts and buildings and not to “modern” or Islamic Egypt.  That is such a shame as it all has value in understanding the history of the country.

After visiting the palaces and the electric plant, we decided to check out the market in the village. Mind you it is now the heat of the day and it is HOT.  Before going on I decided to go back to the boat for more water and to empty out while the others waited in the shade for me to return.

I knew as soon as I started out I would attract attention and be approached and sure enough some young boys ran up to me asking me for money.  Money, money, money they cried as they laughed and danced around.  I said Mah Fleesh Floos (I haven’t any money). That did not deter them so I said Ismak A (what is your name)?  That totally confused them and laughing I went on my way.  Of course, they were waiting for me on my way back, but just followed me laughing and chatting.

Once I reached my group I was told the boys had climbed off the first balcony and scaled the wall of the school to follow me!!!  Indeed as we began to walk past the school the balconies on all three levels were filled with boys screaming Hallo, Hallo.  We laughed and waived saying Hallo back.  The teacher came out on the balcony to gather them back into the classroom, which turned out to be quite a challenge.

Gunter, Renata, Mohamed, Ahmed,Judy
We continued on to the market, but found it to be only for commercial vegetable buyers so decided to head back to the boat for a cool drink and some shade.  As we passed the school this time the balconies were full of girl students all yelling Hallo, Hallo!!!  Guess they knew there was only one way back and word got around. The village is not one frequented by tourists, so we were an oddity.


Calcium, Gunter, Mohamed, Renata
Sunset At Luxor
Soon after boarding, the boat turned around and headed back to Luxor where we tied down for the night, had dinner, more fun with Judy (she is close to 1 year) and more great conversation. On the trip she laughed for the first time.  Threw back her head and laughed and laughed. We all clapped and laughed with her, so she decided this was a great thing.

Along The Nile


Calcum and I had a lot of time to visit and get to know one another better. Each time I see her it is at her home with the 5 children and all of her motherly and wifely duties, so this quiet time was a treat for both of us. Ahmed is a wonderful father and husband helping out however he can.

At her request I taught her the Heart Math breathing technique to bring calm and peace.  It can be practiced for a short time, as an introduction to your regular meditation, or by itself for a longer time. It can also be practiced with others and I encouraged her to show her children. I promised to show Ahmed the technique on the second leg of the journey on the other Dahabyia so they could practice as a family.
Ahmed & Me Selfie

We said good-bye to Calcum and Judy then Ahmed took them home.  It was a wonderful three days.  I went to bed looking forward to the next day when we change to the  larger Dahabyia, and to the 4 more guests from Germany joining us for more adventures.

Much Love To You All,

Sara/Mom/Grandma




Relaxing, Me & Mohamed, The Group.

No comments:

Post a Comment