Friday, February 27, 2015

EGYPT ADVENTURES 2015
LUXOR FELUCCA RIDE


Luxor is changing each time I visit.  Loads of new buildings especially along the edge of the Nile along the West Bank and spreading out beyond downtown on the East Bank.  Much of the building took place during the years
Example of House Built Since the Revolution 
following the revolution when the government was in turmoil and nobody was paying attention to the rules.  People took advantage and built buildings that would not have been usually allowed in terms of height, etc.   I am told lots of English and other foreigners are buying land here and opening businesses.  According to the locals this is driving the prices up beyond local ability to easily pay.  I suppose this is progress, but I long for the quieter times of years ago.  

I spend my days visiting with Calcum and the
My Namesake, Sara, & Me
children and
Ahmed & Joseph Buying Falafal
Ahmed when he returns from his guiding job in the Fayoum, an oasis outside of Cairo.  He is home for less than two days and he has another job with two German clients he has done business with many times before.  They also want to go to the Fayoum.

In the meantime Ahmed takes me to meet them and to go for a felucca boat ride.  The felucca is a sail boat with one sail and a jointed mast. 
Felucca
It is the same as it was in the days of the pharaohs of ancient Egypt.  Usually they are made by hand.  The jointed mast allows the sail to become many types: main, jib, spinnaker, etc.  This way any puft of wind can be caught and sometimes, especially in Luxor, pufts are all you get.  Many times when taking the felucca in the past the captain and mate have had to row.

Today, however, Allah is with us and the winds are blowing quite well.  The ride begins at 3:30PM and ends just before sunset at 5:30PM.  It is a glorious ride taking us past village life
Cattle - Note Grass Shelter to Left
along the banks of the Nile on the west side.  Cattle, goats and sheep are grazing, people are working the fields and rushes.  It is a lazy feel under a bright blue sky full of sunlight.  A perfect day for sailing.

Later Ahmed and I go for turkish coffee and for me to smoke shisha from a hooka or water pipe.  My favorite is apple tobacco.  This is the only time I indulge in smoking because this way it is a lazy and soothing activity.  He tells me about the new areas of Fayoum and shows me pictures of what he has found there.

On Saturday I take a long walk from the apartment through the local souk to the cornish along the Nile.  I stroll to outside of Luxor Temple, but do not go in this time.  My hair is causing a sensation here and as I pass young school girls, they giggle and point and I smile and nod.  One man in traditional dress passes me and yells “nice hair”.

Hassan arrives back on Saturday  from working the past week on a cruise ship.  He has arranged for a pigeon dinner for him and me at the apartment I have rented.  It is the night before I leave to go to stay on the west bank.  We have a delicious dinner as he tells me about his adventures of the past week.

Much Love To You All,

Mom/Grandma Syrup/Sara 

More Pictures:

Ahmed & Clients

Hassan, Captain of Felucca

Yara & Joseph

Colorful Sails on Felucca

No comments:

Post a Comment