Friday, February 13, 2015

EGYPT ADVENTURES 2015
FAMILY VISIT #ONE


On the second day of the Khamsin (cold wind off the desert) with a sky full of sand Hassan, Safaa and I set out to visit Hassan’s cousins in his family village located off the first finger split of the Nile in the Delta.  The sand in the air was so fine it left a dusting on everything in the car with only a small crack in the window.  

Hassan was born and raised in Cairo, but spent his summers with his relatives in the village of both his parents.  As we entered that area he began to point out various houses that had or do still belong to the family. 
Lush Land - Note Sand In The Air
Because it is in the delta, all the land is green and lush with various crops of wheat, alfalfa, arulgula and more.  Sprinkled in amongst those crops are huge heads of cabbage and I mean HUGE, cauliflower, garlic, herbs and other edibles.
Cabbage!!!!

I met the cousin and his wife the last time I was in Cairo in 2012.  I was greeted with much enthusiasm and really felt like family.  The speciality of this branch of the family is a breakfast item called Fateer (phonetically spelled).  I love it!!!   It is puff pastry-like in huge flat circle and is baked in a special oven.  A bit crispy on the outside until you tear into it and then it is soft and gooy.  Then you dip it in molasses known as black honey .  OMG!!!  

Hassan told me they say the Fateer never tastes as good as when they make it for him even if they are bringing it as a surprise!  I said just their thoughts about surprising him brings in his special energy making the Fateer especially good.

His cousin’s wife kept teasing me that I could only take one of them home for me.  Then she would say none and 4 and then 3 and then back to one. 
Teasing me. Fateer Oven On The Right
I played right in to the game and we teased back and forth for the whole visit.  Later Hassan and Safaa told me they had never seen her like that and that she never smiles or seems happy.  They said I must have some kind of magic to bring that out in her.

We were taken upstairs one level above the new house (we were gathered in the old traditional one next door) to see the
New Apartment Section
two apartments his cousin is building on top for his sons.  They are designed extremely well and will be great when done.  Little Mahmoud (about 4 years old) came up with us to show us around.  Earlier he had insisted on helping the workers and dropped a brick on one of his fingers. 

Mahmoud - note finger!!!
I am told the house can go up as high as 6 levels (this is the third).  The land is so precious here and is the way to make their living so the houses are built upwards instead of outwards, and since the families continue to live together even after the marriage of the sons (daughters go live with their husband’s family), you will see houses in an ever state of construction. 

Back down in the living quarters I start to take pictures of the family seated around the parlor.  I get to Hassan’s cousin and he holds up his hand, takes off his scarf and galabaya he wears for working. 
In His Finery
He then rummages in the wardrobe and dons his dress up robe!!  Love it!!!

Two of the daughters of the older son take me out into the fields to gather the edibles we are to take back to Cairo.  There are also delicious cheeses, butter, and of course the Fateer to take with us.  

All the women are gathered in a line as we leave and all are giving me hugs, kisses and asking for my return.  The men shook my hand with bright smiles on their faces.  My heart was full to bursting as I left with promises to return - Insha’allah (God willing).

Much Love To You All,

Mom/Grandma Syrup, Sara

More Family Photos:

The Two Who Took Me To The Fields

Daugther-In-Law Of Youngest Son & Children






Baker Of Fateer & Husband Who Is Older Son

No comments:

Post a Comment