Monday, January 6, 2014

Sierra Leone 2014
ARRIVAL

First London and an overnight stay at the Hilton Terminal 5 which was no where near Terminal 5!!!  The Hilton that is really AT the airport is at terminal 4.  Who knew??  It is New Years Eve, I have over 24 hours to kill so I thought it might be fun to go into London and do one of the London Walks in the afternoon.  However, the weather is nasty even by London standards so I hang out at the hotel, read, sleep, and read some more.  Miss the Big Ben action on TV at midnight, oh well.

The flight from London to Freetown is uneventful.  I was able to snare a free business class ticket using points so I settle into my seat numbered 1K.  No first class on this flight.

The flight attendant offers me something to drink and informs me I am the only one who is sitting in that section!!!  I must say I have never had a whole section to myself; row, yes, section, no.

Upon arrival in Freetown exiting the outside door I spy Mustapha who was our driver each time we journeyed up country last year.  It is so fun to see him I begin jumping up and down.  He collects my luggage trolley and we proceed  to his car.  We are taking the government ferry.  A new experience.

We drive like a bat out of hell only to get in the ferry line and sit for over an hour before the boarding process begins, but we are assured a spot on the ferry.  Since it is January 1 and the end of holiday, MANY people and cars are taking the ferry.  As we wait the “human mini-markets” carrying smoked oysters, smoked fish, oranges, bananas and other goodies parade back and forth selling their offerings.  Finally it is time to board. 

Interestingly enough the cars and people all use the same ramp- a ramp that has the sea water rushing over it at intervals!  Needless to say it takes FOREVER to load the ferry, but it is interesting to watch the people, some with HUGE suitcases, maneuver that ramp and try to avoid the sea water.  Every now and then they let a car go through.

Finally, we are boarded and are stuffed onto the ferry like sardines in a can.  After a half hour ride, we are there.  Then we sit and wait until all the people get off and as they pour down the stairs on both sides it seems the line will never end.  

At last we are on our way to the place I will call home for the next 5 1/2 months.  We arrive at 11PM.  The house manager meets me and shows me to my room.  After unpacking, rather haphazardly, I fall into bed.  Like Scarlett O’Hara I will think about organizing tomorrow.

Lynne and Ed gave me a gift of a water purifying wand using a special light.  Due to my late arrival I had no drinking water.  I used the wand that very first night!!!!  Thanks, again, my dear friends.

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma/Sara



No comments:

Post a Comment