Wednesday, January 15, 2014

CHIEFDOM DIALOGS
Pujehun District

As I stated in one of my first blogs we will be conducting Chiefdom Dialogs to sensitize the people in the villages about the Government Acts regarding women and children's rights.

So far we have conducted two of those meetings.  The subject matter is quite volatile, but it is interesting that the subjects to cause the most dialog and passion differed from one chiefdom to the next.

When Chiefdom Dialogs are conducted there are attendees from the sections as well as the villagers from the village where the meeting is held. The representatives from the sections go back to their villages to repeat what they have heard.  There is also a radio broadcast about the subject that night for all the country to hear over battery operated radios.

The subject in the first meeting causing the most passion was domestic violence. Men began accusing their women of not providing a meal when they came home from work or going out with their boyfriend while the man was at work. This allows them to retaliate with beatings, in their estimation. The women then responded with accusations to the men as the reasons they do what they do including going out with their girlfriends and beating the wives. The meeting deteriorated into shouting matches making it difficult to subdue the crowd.

At one point in time I wasn’t sure if we would be able to finish the meeting, but order was finally restored and the rest of the information given.
Telling How She Feels About The Laws

The second chiefdom reacted not at all to the subject of domestic violence. Their hot button was about the distribution of assets upon death or divorce.  This
With Her Baby Strapped To Her Back
discussion, while passionate, remained orderly.  In the past when a man died his brother, cousin or some other male family member from the husband’s side, could come in and take over the property sending the widow and children into the street.  Now that is not allowed and will result in a jail sentence if done. This point created the most discussion. 

In the past if a woman left a man for any reason he could back to her family and request all the money he has paid for her keeping since the marriage began!  This is no longer allowed in the new law.  This was not good news for the men.  My take is he needs to pay her for all of the services she provided during the marriage which then makes it all even!!!

As always, when we attend a meeting of any kind they feed us.  The second village provided red country rice and sardines. Really good with the red rice being my favorite. 

Red Rice & Sardines YUM!
When I was finished eating, I handed my plate to one of the village children hanging about for them to finish as is the tradition.

While waiting beside the truck before leaving I began moving to the music coming from the radio. I can’t stand still when I hear African music!  I tried to get the children to dance, but they were shy.  I then got into the truck.  The village chief walked up to my open window and began to “dance” with me through the window. Soon he asked me to get out and to dance proper which I did much to the delight and amazement of the villagers.

Just as we were leaving a young man walked up to my window with a tiny creature that looked like a baby deer.  He handed it to me and wanted me to buy it.  It was so precious and frightened. As I held it it stopped shaking and cuddled close to my heart making me sad to let go.  It was not a deer but part of the tiny antelope species probably similar to a Dik Dik. 

I asked where the man got it and was told in the bush. It was either stolen from the nest while the mother searched for food or the mother was trapped and the baby taken then.  Oh, how I wanted to take that baby with me.

On the way to Bo where I would spend one night on the way back to Moyamba, I witnessed a monkey being butchered for meat.  Evidently, if you want bush meat the district of Pujehun is the place to get it. I asked if it was legal to eat bush meat and was told as long as it was trapped and not shot, it is.  While I have eaten all different kinds of meat from all over the world, I don’t think I could eat monkey.  They are too cute!  

Much Love To All,

Mom/Grandma/Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment