Friday, October 19, 2012


LIFE IN FREETOWN

October 19, 2012

First rule: pedestrians do NOT have the right of way! Given the lack of sidewalks most people walk in the streets as do I.  The cars, buses, SUVs, motorbikes all beep horns and fly by as we walk along.  They expect you to get out of their way.  At least I don’t jump anymore when they honk or cringe when it seems they miss me by inches as they whiz by. I’ve gotten so good at crossing busy streets that I might even be able to cross a Cairo street in the future :-).  Those of you who have been to Cairo can appreciate that statement!

Women and men, boys and girls walk down the street carrying things on their heads. Dozens of eggs perch on one young fellows head as he walks up the street loudly announcing eggs for sale.

Bread Seller Has Also Butter & Jam
Note Stool for Resting Bread Tray When
Someone Is Buying
Many items are sold this way.  Besides eggs I have seen honey, sunglasses, water packets, bread, sausages, flip flops, bras (yes, bras!), shirts, candy, soda, tissues, rag cloths, fruit and veggies, cooked food, ceramic pots and sticks of wood.  


These human mini-stores spend the day from before dawn until sunset walking the streets of Freetown selling their products. 



Getting Ready
Up They Go
Success All 5 Up and Carried
Note Both Hands Free!















Everyday on the street outside the office, I hear the noise of beating on wood and a man’s voice calling out. I wondered what it was until one day I passed him in the street carrying a small wooden stand. He was beating it with a brush and had a small backpack on his back.  I realized he is a shoe shine guy!

The other night Adama and I took a walk to the ocean.  We passed by a large warehouse building closed for the night.  During the day it is a huge indoor market selling crafts from around the area.  We passed the hospital, and a local outdoor market with stall after stall of clothing for sale.  The market was closing up for the night.

She showed me the spot where the slaves were loaded onto the ships. It is called King Jimmy, but I don’t know why.  It is just a small wooden ramp that goes from the muddy banks into the ocean.  All slaves that left Sierra Leone were taken to the southern states in the United States.  This is the only country along the slave coast where that happened.  The slaves from other countries were taken to England, France, Caribbean as well as the U.S.  

We got caught in a thunder and lightening storm.  Most do not have umbrellas so when it begins to pour everyone heads for the first shelter they see.  Adama and I got inside the entrance to a public toilet building along with about 10 others while waiting for the rain to slow.

It was dark by the time we returned to the apartment complex.  I was very glad she was with me to help me cross the busy wet streets in the dark.

Much Love,
Mom/Grandma/Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment