Thursday, October 11, 2012


IT’S ELECTION TIME

October 11, 2012  

Today is the nomination day for the Red Party here in Sierra Leone.  Red is the chosen color of the party, the symbol is the sun. It is the party in office now.  Monday was the Green Party day whose symbol is the Palm Tree, and tomorrow is the Yellow (I think) Party day.  The Red and Green Parties are the two biggest. 

The people have already voted in a primary for the candidates in all the parties.  The nomination days are when the electoral committee announces the candidates running for all the offices in the election taking place next month on November 17.  Each party has a nomination day.  

In case of a tie in the November election there will be a runoff election in December. Here the popular vote chooses the winner; how democratic!!!!  

That being said there can be and often is corruption during the elections.  For instance the voter ID cards can be sold on the black market and many poor people do just that.  Another tactic is for the old people to be transported to the polls on the condition they will vote for the party providing the transportation.

Women who are running for office are often harassed, threatened, and even physically assaulted.  Fambul Tok has a 5 month project funded by the United Nations and overseen by the US State Department to educate women how they can be a peaceful influence on the elections in their areas.  When I DO go up country this is the project in which I will be involved.

Yesterday I was told that there would be thousands of people in the streets and a big celebration taking place for the Red Party nomination day. I did not know what to expect on my walk to Fambul Tok this morning, but am armed with a map so I can walk away from any crowds I happen upon.

I open the steel door in the wall surrounding the guest house containing my apartment.  The narrow street which is usually bustling with traffic and pedestrians and lined with vendors is almost empty.  The schools are silent.  They are closed from today until December after the elections are over.

The children of the politicians of the two largest parties have been sent to either London or America!!!  I am told that the American and English Embassies both have a “safe” place to bring their citizens who are in the country in the case of wide spread violence.

That being said, many, many organizations are campaigning for a peaceful election.  I see a young man with a T-Shirt that reads “Say NO to a Violent Election”.  I wish it said “Say YES to a Peaceful Election”. My belief is it is better to emphasize the word that brings about the desired outcome rather that of what you are against. 

As I walk down the street waving and saying hello to all I see, I don’t see many, most of the few I do see are wearing bright red.  They are blowing whistles and horns. Approaching the main street at the end of my side street I am surprised at the lack of traffic and, again, pedestrians.

There is a young woman walking along the main road all dressed in red including red and gold metallic socks!  She is selling paraphernalia for the Red party; hats, whistles, buttons.  She holds out a button for me to buy.  I raise my two hands palms up and shrug my shoulders to indicate I am unfamiliar with the goings on.  She smiles and moves on.

When I get to the main, main road that I cross each day the usual police person directing traffic is missing! Usually it would be impossible to cross the road safely without him/her there to stop traffic.  Today the traffic is so light it is easy to cross.

On my way down the next street I see a gathering of many red shirts off to the left.  One of the red shirted men is scuffling with another in a white shirt. People have gathered on the other side of the road to watch. Hugging the right side of the road, walking quickly by and away from the action I make my way to the office.

The rest of the walk is uneventful and I wonder where are the thousands of people who are supposed to be in the streets?  They are to the side and down from where I am walking closer to the center of the city.  I can hear them off in the background. 

What is amazing to me is that the Green party nomination day on Tuesday was a nonevent.  I didn’t even realize it was happening! Today is the only day with this much activity, I am told.

I had hoped I would know by now when I will be going up country, but still no word.  I have had one report to write since I have been here.  I am working on being patient, truly I am!!!! Sigh!

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma/Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment