Monday, May 4, 2015

SOUTH AFRICAN ADVENTURES
GOOD-BYE KALK BAY


After two months in Kalk Bay it is time to move on.  But before I do I wish to fill you in on the last of my adventures there.

Shaheed and his family live in the other half of the cottage duplex I have been calling my home for most of the past two months.  Shaheed has a taxi service and also hires himself out for tours around the area.  While Bob and I were here in 2000, we did not see everything so I hired him on two occasions to take me around. 

He gave me a lot of insight as to how Apartheid formed and when and what happened to the “colored” and blacks.  Colored is anyone not white or black.  It is interesting to note that the non-whites were displaced from their homes and land in South Africa at about the same time Martin Luther King and others were mobilizing for civil rights in the USA.

He also took me to beaches and other sites around Capetown I had not seen before. This beach is in a very upscale neighborhood on the Atlantic Ocean side.

He invited me to join him and his family on April 27 which is Freedom Day; the day of the end of Apartheid.  We took a picnic lunch and headed for around the bend to the Atlantic (Kalk Bay is on the Indian Ocean) where we walked the beach and watched surfers. 
Waves & Surfers
The water here is COLD.  But I still put my feet in the water because I knew up the west coast lies Sierra Leone and my energy could flow up from where I was to there.  Too woo-woo for you???


On our adventure that day we ran into a baboon in the middle of the road.  You can see from
So Check Me Out!!!
his collar and ear tabs he is being monitored by the wildlife rangers.  
Penguins on the rocks above the ocean was another special sight.
Yes, Warmish Water Penguins


Joanna and I attended a documentary about Heart Math.  It is something I am very familiar with, but she was not.  At that documentary I met a sparkly being by the name of Cheryl Reum.  We clicked immediately and I had the great pleasure, at her invitation, of getting together with her on four other occasions.  We are of the same mind and I know I will be in contact with her in the future.

In 2011 on my journey up the west coast of Africa there was a naturalist on board named Marius Burger.  He was a riot, full of life and loads of fun.  We became friends so I contacted him by email saying I would be in the area and the dates.  Low and behold he emailed me back and then called inviting me to accompany him to see his wife Belinda perform as a solo singer with background music.

It was so good to see him again and to meet his lovely and talented wife.  I was blessed to go to two more venues where she also performed with two different bands.  I quickly fell in love with this spirited and devine being.  She is truly very special.  I had a blast meeting their friends and joining in the fun.  It is never dull with Marius around so I laughed and laughed - felt good.

The last day on the beach I was feeling nostalgic and looking down at my feet was this 1/2 crab shell. 
Sad Face Crab Shell Bidding Me Good-bye
I guess the beach would miss me too!!!  Later that afternoon Clare Burgess (a Morocco companion from 2005) and I were able to carve out time to have tea and a chat.

Shaheed took me to the airport on 2 May to pick up my rental.  Cape Town airport, it turns out, is a very easy place to rent a car as far as accessibility is concerned, so I was in and out in quick order.  Wished Shaheed well, got behind the wheel and proceeded to drive away - on the left hand side.  To my surprise it took me no time to adjust.  I guess I am now officially a left side of the road driving aficionado.  My drive north to Plettenberg Bay was a breeze.  Stories of my adventures there in my next blog.

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma Syrup/Sara

More Beach And Area Pictures:

Mountains Above Cape Town
















This duck was swimming around in a lake located in a newly built park at the V&A Waterfront in Cape Town.  Note the white face and red balls on top of the head.


This piece of Kelp is covered with what appears to be an anemone type of animal with "shell" ends that open and close as it sticks out a black "tongue"




Close up of the shell ends.  When touched they are not hard like shells but feel more like a soft finger nail.









Who cannot love a rainbow. It brings such promise and joy to the heart. 







 Rock at low tide covered with a type of anemone .



Close up of the creatures on the rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment