Friday, June 13, 2014

BOMBALI HAPPENINGS PART ONE:
LAST ACTIVITIES IN SALONE
JUNE 2014

On May 31 (OK not quite June) I attended my first School’s Bonfire & Oral History Presentation at Panlap Community JSS (Junior Secondary School).  As stated before, Fambul Tok is now in 5 schools in each of the 6 districts where they are active and have established Peace Clubs in each of these schools.

As part of the sensitization surrounding the history of the war for the students and the whole community, Fambul Tok is holding bonfires and oral history presentations in all of their schools. 

So Long To Mohamed
I left Freetown early on Friday, May 30 to drive to Makeni so I could attend the bonfire on the 31st.  Along the way I passed Mohamed’s (my African grandson from Kabala who is now in Freetown with his uncle) uncle’s house.  We stopped so I could say so long to Mohamed.  It was a poignant moment with both of us tearing up.  I will miss him, but we have Whatsapp, FaceBook, email and texting, so we will keep in touch!

Joseph Explaining Rules For Football Match
The first activity at the bonfire was a bonding football match between members of the school and even included two blind students from the nearby School for the Blind.  Yes, they played blind and you would never have guessed.  They asked me to kick off which I have done somewhat successfully before, but this time I totally missed the ball!!!
Second Team

After the match the bonfire ceremony began with introductions of the attending dignitaries including  Paramount Chief Massalye, who NEVER attends anything.  His attendance was quite a coup for Fambul Tok and shows the importance and success of the program.

Some of the Dignitaries
A young boy acting as an old man gave the oral history.  He was outstanding in his delivery.  His presentation took over 15 minutes and, as far I could tell, he didn’t muff or forget a thing.

Dancers representing the secret societies performed for us and a skit showing some of the
Secret Society Dancing
atrocities of the war was presented.  I must say I was a bit surprised when a young man pushed a young woman onto a bench and proceeded to pantomime raping her! 

The bonfire was lit with some difficulty resulting in a great deal of smoke, but once started became a huge blaze.  Then it rained!!!  Poured was more like it.  When it rains here it RAINS so hard you can hardly talk over the
Roaring Fire - Note the dark pre-rain sky 
din.

Once in Freetown and twice here in the guest house lightening struck the building.  Now THAT is a storm when you are blinded by the flash at the same time blasted by the noise of the thunder.  I, the thrill seeker, loved it!!!

Much Love To You All,

Mom/Grandma Syrup/Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment