Tuesday, December 11, 2012


AT THE POLICE STATION

DECEMBER 6, 2012

We arrive at the police station at 9:30 AM to wait for the women.  The police chief expresses his relief and extreme thanks to Micheala and the Fambul Tok team for solving the dispute.  He says he was very worried about the division of the town and the ramification of the complaint if taken to the Magistrate Court in Freetown.

Yatta Holding My Banana Gift
While we wait and they talk (it’s in Krio so I only grasp bits and pieces) music is playing in the background.  Now, I LOVE the African beat and was bobbing in my chair to the music when I realized everyone was smiling at me.  Ibraham from Fambul Tok had seen me dance in Koinadugu and made the comment that I cannot sit still when the music starts. We all laugh. All of a sudden a woman comes into the office with a bunch of bananas to present to me as a gift from the police chief! I guess he liked my bobbing :-)!

Zumba and Mariatu Together again
Soon the women arrive.  Their faces are radiant and eyes are shining. They are two completely different women from yesterday.  They rode in on one motorbike from the village which would have been impossible before yesterday.  They tell us that last night they walked together and visited every house in the village to show their unity and ask forgiveness. The people were so overwhelmed that some of them even gave them money!

The Imam appears and begins to expound on the wonders of Fambul Tok who was able to do what he and the other religious leaders had been unable to do. He is there to support and witness the end of the complaint.  He is joined by the Partnership Chairman who is also beaming and complimenting Fambul Tok. He supports the withdrawal of the complaint and tells the police chief to grant it.

A reporter from the Sierra Leone national radio station has heard about the meeting results of yesterday and wants to interview Micheala. After hearing her story he is very moved and plans to broadcast the story nationwide tomorrow. He will also be at the celebrations on Friday in Dia.

Are you getting the picture here?  This reconciliation is a BIG DEAL!  The feud was poisoning not only the village but the whole Chiefdom and even the district.

I am beginning to realize just how blessed I am to be witnessing this process.  I am seeing the Power of Forgiveness work first hand.

Imam Waving Goodbye
The complaint is withdrawn.  The women and the Imam ride off to the village to prepare for the peace football match and peace dance taking place tomorrow.  We will join them in these celebrations and stay over night with them in the village.

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma/Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment