Friday, November 30, 2012


KOINADUGU DISTRICT CHIEFDOM VISITS

November 10, 2012

We leave really early this morning to make our way to a district called Koinadugu.  We stop and buy some freshly hard boiled eggs from one of the human mini-markets in a town along the way.  They are still warm and yummy.  I buy two.

Michaeala needs to do some business at the Fambul Tok district office in a city called Makeni.  It is part of the Bombali district where we may visit some time in the future.  I wait in the car and take a nap!!!

Heremakono
On the way into Kabala, the main town in Koinadugu, we stop in the Wara Wara Yagala Chiefdom, Heremakono Section in the village of the same name.  In the interest of time we gather under a tree at the edge of the village instead of taking the trek to their Peace Tree.  Soon we have a full gathering of the village and the dancing and singing begins.

It seems my reputation arrives before I do.  I am greeted as the Peace Mothers Grandmother and am expected to dance.  I am more than happy to comply.

Zainab
Zainab begins the meeting by declaring we are all brothers and sisters no matter the color of our skin (she points at me) or status.  She calls me her sister and I am honored.

Then Margaret, who is newly trained as a peace Ambassador, leads the program to impart the message of peace.  Peace now, during and after the elections.  She is passionate and well spoken.  I can tell her message is being heard and accepted by the villagers.

Our next stop is the FT district office in Kabala.  It is in a lovely new building and has several rooms containing sleeping and bathroom facilities.  I expect to stay here, but find no screens on the windows, netting over the bed or a fan for movement of air. 

While we are waiting for the time to go to the next village, a woman approaches with tubs and baskets full of food and the utensils needed to consume it.  I choose some fried plantains, spicy beans, and a ball of cooked Casava.  It is really yummy.  She also has hard boiled eggs, chicken and fish.

Community Meeting Center
In the afternoon we visit the Dogolya Section in the Section Chief’s village of the same name.  Our meeting here takes place inside of a round cement community hut with a thatched roof.  This village is decidedly Muslim and more conservative than the one we visited this morning.

As the people gather the women sit on one side and the men on the other.  All are dressed in traditional clothes.  But they begin to dance and sing as I join them.  The dancing is calmer and more refined, but no less joyful.  After it is over the men applaud and thank me for dancing with the women!

This meeting imparts the same message as all the others we have held. The Section Chief is very supportive of Fambul Tok as are the other villagers.  One man named Dr. Joseph is very enthusiastic and makes it his purpose to get everyone to the hut.

I have a video of me dancing with the women when the meeting is concluded and they are gathered outside the hut.  They are shaking my hands, hugging me, patting me on the back and just generally enjoying the moment.  The internet here is too slow to download the video now, but I will create a blog with videos after returning home.  

I know I have said this before, but my heart is so full of love and joy when we leave.

Instead of staying in the district office, I opt to check into the guest house called Lam Tech II where the US Embassy observer team will stay.  I make this decision for several reasons.  The office, as I mentioned, is very lovely and new and I would be very comfortable staying there except for the lack of mosquito protection and petrol in the generator for light. 

It is dark and late by this time and we are all very tired from the long day.  As it turns out my decision is a good one not only for the reasons stated but also for the remoteness and lack of food facilities in the area.

The guest house serves no food, but is in walking distance of the center of town where food is easily obtained whereas the office is not.  I make myself at home in my room at Lam Tech II and drift off to sleep to the sound of the generator and disco music!!!

Much Love To You All,
Mom/Grandma/Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment